Is your RV furniture looking a little worn out from years of use? Do you want furniture pieces that are more multifunctional and space-saving? Or maybe you want to make your RV feel more like home?
If you think it’s time to give your RV a remodel, switching out your old RV furniture is definitely one of the best ways to freshen up the look and style of the area.
Not sure where to start? Keep reading for our quick guide on how to replace your RV furniture!
Why Replace Your Existing RV Furniture?
A fifth-wheel RV (or any RV in general!) is a huge investment. If you’ve already shelled out loads of cash for a motorhome, why bother replacing the RV furniture and upgrading the interior?
Well, RV owners—especially full-time RVers—know that comfort is extremely important when traveling long distances in a motorhome.
In fact, it can be challenging to live in such tight spaces for extended periods of time, so it’s best to make the place (especially the sleeping space!) as relaxing as possible.
Usually, RV owners will buy RV furniture for the following reasons:
- They want to fully remodel their RVs.
- The existing pieces of furniture in their RVs are very old or damaged from years of use.
- They want comfortable, quality, and multifunctional RV furniture.
What Kind of RV Furniture Should I Purchase?
Any full-time RVer should know the essential pieces he needs in his RV.
With that said, what kind of RV furniture should you buy to maximize both comfort and functionality?
The first piece of furniture on this list is a simple RV sofa, also known as a jackknife sofa or a sleeper sofa.
Basically, an RV couch is a sofa you can easily pull out and convert into a bed that can fit one to two people.
Unlike typical pull-out couches, RV sleeper sofas don’t have heavy mattresses or take up much space, so they’re easy to set up and move around too! These features make RV sofas amazing pieces for a small space.
Here are some of our top picks for RV sofas:
Thomas Payne Jackknife Sofa
Looking for a comfortable, versatile, and low-maintenance sofa bed for your RV? Well, the Thomas Payne RV sofa is a great option for you!
Here are some of the reasons why we think this is a great piece of furniture for RVs:
- It’s very easy to clean. The couch is made from PolyHyde fabric, which is both durable and kid-friendly. Any spills can quickly be wiped away without leaving a stain, so it’ll still look good after years of use!
- Simple and fuss-free installation. This RV sofa is lightweight, so it can be transported and set up in your RV without much difficulty.
- It’s very functional. One swift, sliding motion is all it takes to turn this couch into a flat bed! It’s a comfortable sofa to sit on during the daytime and a relaxing bed to sleep on during the nighttime.
- Made of quality materials
- Multiple color options available
- Easy to set up, clean, and use
- You have to purchase legs separately
- More sensitive users may find the bumps slightly uncomfortable when they are lying down
RecPro Charles RV Jackknife Sofa
Another great sofa bed model is the RecPro Charles RV jackknife sofa, which functions similarly to the previous option. Just slide out the body of the sofa to convert it into a bed!
Here’s what you should know about this sofa bed:
- It features a compact design. You don’t have to sacrifice style and comfort if you’ve got small interior space—this couch will fit perfectly in any corner of your RV.
- It’s very soft and comfortable. Because the sofa is made from thick, quality Suprima fabric, it’ll feel almost like a real bed when you sleep on it!
- It’s got a durable, all-metal frame. If you plan to purchase a new sofa bed, it’s only natural that you want it to last you a long time. Fortunately, this couch has a strong and durable metal frame, so it won’t need constant replacing!
- Very comfortable
- Durable and high quality
- Space-saving sofa bed
- This sofa might look a little old fashioned for some users
If you’ve got more space in your RV (and more people living in it), you should consider getting this type of sofa instead.
Now, a tri-fold couch opens up easily just like an RV sofa, but only its seat folds out to create a twin-sized bed.
With this piece of furniture, you get more sleeping space, better support, and ultimate comfort—in fact, it’s the closest option to a traditional sofa bed!
Here are some of our favorite options for tri-fold couches:
Milliard Tri-Fold Couch
This sofa bed by Milliard isn’t technically classified under RV furniture, but we think it belongs to this list because it’s so lightweight, comfortable, and versatile!
Unlike most sofa beds, this RV tri-fold couch is meant to be placed directly on the floor. Because it’s made of such high-density foam, though, you won’t feel the ground at all!
Here’s what we love about this nifty sofa bed:
- It’s actually a triple-function mattress. This furniture piece can be a sofa, a thick twin-sized mattress, or a queen tri-fold mattress, depending on your needs.
- It requires zero installation. It has no legs, rungs, or bracing whatsoever. All you have to do is unzip to unfold the sofa into a bed!
- It’s very comfortable. Again, because this furniture piece uses high-density foam, it’s ultra-soft—perfect to sit or sleep on!
Now, if you just want to upgrade your existing RV sofa, Milliard even offers a replacement memory foam mattress for extra support (and ultimate relaxation).
- Simple but classy aesthetic
- Soft and comfortable
- Some users don’t like that it sits so low to the ground
- Takes up quite a lot of room
Thomas Payne Tri-Fold Couch
If you’re looking for a luxurious furniture piece for your RV, this is it!
The Thomas Payne tri-fold couch definitely doesn’t come cheap, but it’s a great purchase if comfort and quality are your priorities.
Here are some of its best features:
- Lightweight construction. This furniture piece looks sturdy and solid—and it is— but it’s also quite lightweight. This means it’ll be easy to install and move around in your RV, AND it won’t require replacing anytime soon.
- Thick and quality foam. This ensures you won’t feel any hard support bars while sleeping!
- Low-maintenance upholstery. PolyHyde, the fabric it uses, is very easy to clean, but it still manages to look elegant and luxurious too!
- Durable and high-quality
- Made of thick foam that’s both supportive and comfortable
- Easy to set-up, use, and clean
- This furniture piece might look a little old fashioned for some users
- No pullout drawer for storage
Recliners are must-haves for RVs, especially if you want a comfortable chair to sit on while watching TV.
Sofas are good enough, but recliners definitely give you the authentic theater experience that you’re looking for.
RecPro Charles Double Recliner RV Sofa
Got a movie date in your RV? You’ll definitely enjoy this furniture piece by RecPro Charles, which features a comfortable loveseat—perfect for two!
Here’s why it’s a favorite among many users:
- It’s a durable piece of furniture. This RV recliner is made of quality faux leather, so it’s not only nice to look at—it’ll last you a long time too.
- It doesn’t take up too much room. This double recliner is actually very compact, and it will fit snugly in your RV. This loveseat is definitely more space-saving than two separate recliners.
- It’s very comfortable. It might be difficult not to fall asleep here while watching TV! This recliner is soft, plush, and very well-cushioned—great for relaxing.
- You really get value for money
- Very comfortable
- Fairly compact
- Easy to install, as it comes in two separate pieces
- Can feel a bit small and tight for some individuals
Dinette Table and Chairs
What’s a dinette anyway?
A dinette booth is a classic part of any RV.
It’s where RVers take their meals, and it also doubles as their sleeping area at night. Usually, a dinette is composed of a padded chair and a table, which can be converted into a flat bed.
If you’re thinking of replacing your dinette booth, consider purchasing heavily padded seats with storage so you get a lot of functionality out of one furniture piece!
Did you know you can replace RV furniture with regular household furniture?
That’s right, you can freely design the interior of your RV by putting in your favorite residential furniture—just make sure it fits the size and weight limits of the RV for your safety!
With that said, beds (which won’t fit through the RV door) are definitely not suitable, but you can probably transfer a nice couch, table, a couple of dining chairs, and other lightweight, regular furniture into most RVs.
RV Furniture Buying Guide
Now that you know the essential pieces for your RV, how do you pick the best RV furniture from all the options out there? Consider the following factors before purchasing from your local shop!
Size and Weight
First, check out the size and weight of the RV furniture you plan to buy.
Remember, an RV is a MOBILE home, so it won’t be able to safely carry a large amount of weight.
Since its door isn’t too wide either, some types of furniture might not be able to fit through it, especially if they come fully assembled.
Fortunately, RV furniture is specifically built for RVs, so they fit most RV manufacturers’ standards. Just try to double-check the measurements anyway, especially if you plan to use a mix of RV furniture and regular furniture.
Ease of Installation
Next, can the pieces easily be installed?
The best RV furniture will require little to no set-up—usually, a few screws are all you need to put the parts together!
However, because an RV is constantly moving, you also have to think about how to secure the furniture to the walls or to the floor.
Check if your local RV furniture shop can perform this service for you; otherwise, you’ll have to DIY it!
Design and Functionality
It’s very important you’re happy with the look of the interior.
So, choose quality pieces that are both beautiful AND functional—you’ll get your money’s worth that way.
Opt for nice fabrics that look luxurious and feel comfortable but aren’t a hassle to clean!
Our best tip? Get multifunctional RV furniture (like a couch with storage that can transform into a comfy bed at night!)
Comfort is key when you’re on the road, so it’s worth investing in pieces that make you feel at home!
If you can, visit the store and test out the furniture before buying so you really get a feel of these items. After all, what looks good on paper might not turn out to be all that amazing in real life.
With that said, we recommend looking out for products that use thick foam (like a memory foam mattress) for optimal cushioning and support.
How to Set-Up and Secure RV Furniture
The best (and most secure) way to install RV furniture is by bolting them in place with angle brackets, screws, and bolts.
If you’re doing this yourself, check to see you’re not drilling into any important mechanical parts below the RV floor.
If you’re after a more temporary fix, you can use bungee cords or velcro straps to fasten the furniture instead. This makes it easier for you to remove them or move them around whenever you want.
However, note this isn’t as safe as using bolts, so just make sure the fasteners don’t come loose while you’re traveling!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Should I Repair or Replace My RV Furniture?
If you’re on a budget and there are minor issues with your RV furniture, you can easily repair them and give them new life!
Sometimes, it’s as simple as getting your sofa reupholstered, but other times, you’ll need to buy new parts for damaged pieces.
With very old and worn-out furniture, though, you should consider replacing them entirely (maybe even with custom pieces!), as this can be more cost-effective in the long run.
Plus, it’s a great way to remodel your RV and give it a fresh, new look too!
Does IKEA Sell RV Furniture?
IKEA does not sell RV furniture, but it DOES sell lightweight pieces that come disassembled, so a lot of these options are probably suitable for your RV!
Again, just double-check the size and weight of the furniture before you buy.
Can I Use Regular Furniture Instead of RV Furniture?
Yes, you can use regular furniture as long as it meets the size and weight limits of your RV! Make sure it comes disassembled so it can fit through the door too.
If you have a bigger budget, consider getting custom-made furniture that’s aesthetically appealing, multifunctional (ideally with built-in storage!), AND suitable for your motorhome.
Is RV Furniture Installation Hard?
Temporary fasteners such as velcro straps and bungee cords are very easy to use, but they aren’t the most secure.
If you know you won’t be moving your furniture anytime soon, bolt them in place instead of using some angle brackets, bolts, and screws.
Experts can perform this service for you, but it’s not too hard to DIY if you have the right tools and the instruction manual handy!
Where Can I Purchase RV-Specific Furniture?
If you just bought a new RV from your local RV dealer, he can probably direct you to good furniture suppliers.
If you want to buy online, consider trusted retailers like Amazon—just make sure to read the reviews to ensure authenticity!
Replacing your RV furniture is definitely a great way to spruce up your motorhome and give it new life.
Now that you know your must-have pieces and the characteristics to consider before making a purchase, you’re ready to design and remodel your dream (motor)home! Good luck!
1 thought on “Replacing RV Furniture: How To Elevate Your Home On Wheels”
I need this type chair for sleeping.